Tuesday 29 July 2008

Social Media


By JonThm9@aol.com

It is all about giving the people a voice! Instead of consuming the BBC news about the UK, they make their own news about their own community.

This is called blogging, and producing digital video was developed by Apple: They still do the best kit to put your own output out there.

I learned to ‘blog’ via Graeme at the Ordsall Community CafĂ©: And I produce goodish output. But it is on the Windows/Microsoft platform, which is not as good.

I still produce good output, and I actually ended up doing a Microsoft blog about the social media centre. But they exist to teach you to do professional output.

The Windows blogs are laborious to produce, and though I do good blogs, usually they look a bit more amateur.

This last week I produced a semi professional blog – on the BBC news service. The Social Media Centre is there to teach media people, maybe to go on and work with the BBC when they come to the Quays.

This last week I also produced a video on Langworthy, which is what blogging is about! To document your own community.

The SMC has Teresa and Mick there to teach you how to blog: As we don’t just do it out of the box, we have to learn. They have Apple and Windows machines there for us to play with. It is there to help Joe Public produce a video blog on where he lives.

Digital video is not trivial to learn, and without the likes of Mick, I would be off singing on stage – which his far easier, and I am good at!

Charlestown and Langworthy should realise what a great facility they have on Frederick Rd.

The big problem with video on YOUTUBE, is actually the audio bit! I have learned how to use CDs to import music to my videos.

With copyright problems, only a sample of the middle of a track is possible. On the BBC video, I was lucky that Google included the news theme tune. So it looks like a real video.

This is a problem with all bloggers out there! I am careful to only include a sample, so it is a free advert for the musicians: You like the tune, go buy the CD!

The video bit is easier, as we can use camcorder footage. But Graeme wants me to learn how to use a Minidisc recorder! Your learning is never done.

This is where the social Media Centre comes into its own! The hardware is very useful, but without the tutors, it is just stuff with a plug and red button on!

I am thinking of buying some Apple kit, but really without Mick, why not just use the money in the pub! There are too few users come to the SMC, as blogging is a skill. But once learned, you can bend the minds of the world.

I am trying to tell the world what a great place Salford is, but without a centre like the SMC, I am just a Joe Public spreading video pollution on the web.

Yes, I sing and am creative, and luckily also do IT: But without the likes of Mick, my time would be better used throwing pots on a potter’s wheel!

I do not think that the local area knows what a resource they have open to them! The centre operates a day time, and a night time drop in. So people without jobs, or those busy during the day can use the resource.

Me, I travel a lot! But when I am in the UK, I am there! The Apple kit is so flexible. And will deal with all types of video or audio formats.

Computer people like to invent new formats, as they have too little to do in the coffee break, and it keeps bloggers on their toes, trying to wade through the black shifting sands of computer formats.

So here we get back to Mick, who knows about all this stuff. Graeme had the easier job, as Windows bloggers have not revelled in new formats.

My big concern today is getting to grips with the new video camera: But really, this is just like the stuff Mick tries to teach me.

OK, I learn quickly, but he is very good at fielding the same idiotic questions from all these people.

And Mick is good at making interesting videos! He cuts away to side shots I would just have cut out: Children getting certificate – the minutia of social videos that makes them interesting, but you really have to know your way around the editing software to put in your output.

OK, so I think my stuff is good, with what Graeme has taught me.

I KNOW that my videos will be brilliant with the stuff Mick is teaching me. He will show me how to bend people’s mind better than I can dream of today.

Contact us to find out more.

Address: Salford Innovation Forum, Frederick Rd, Salford, M6 6FP - Map

Phone: 0161 7433537
Email: teresa@mcin.net or mick@mcin.net
Website: http://socialmediacentre.
wordpress.com


No comments: